Winter Warmer: Pea and Ham Soup!
Winter is coming (to the southern hemisphere!) which means we start to crave warming foods such as stews and soups. Lucky for us, The Wholesome Nutritionist, Rarnie McCudden has a delicious winter warming pea and ham soup for us to try which is super easy and packed with vegetables and protein!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours 10 mins
Serves: 6 to 8
A delicious no fuss winter soup. Simply throw it in the slow cooker and let the aroma take over the house.
- One brown onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tbs oil
- 3 carrots diced
- 5 potatoes diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 1 1kgm smoked ham hock
- 5 cups dried split peas rinsed.
- 1L chicken bone broth or home made stock.
- 3 bay leaves
- Fry off the onion & garlic in oil then add to the slow cooker.
- Add diced vegetables, bay leaves, split peas, ham hock and broth / stock and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove bay leaves & discard.
- Remove ham hock & strip skin away then shred meat & return to soup.
- Let cook a further 20 mins then serve with some fresh parsley.
- A little hint. If you want to cook this while at work use an electricity timer on your slow cooker.
For more of Rarnie’s delicious recipes, check her out at www.thewholesomenutritionist.com